Turkish coffee is a famous type of coffee that is loved by millions across the globe. This coffee is derived from the Arabica bean, and as such, contains more caffeine than other types of coffee. It comes with a strong, full-bodied, bitter taste that leaves memories on the tongue. The coffee is unique in its styles of preparation and more. In this post, we will look at how to drink Turkish coffee, how it is prepared, and more.
Coffee in itself is a super-beverage. It is a drink that connects and reinvigorates. Coffee means different things to different people, and people love to take their coffee in different ways. This drink dates back to the 3rd century and exists in various cultures throughout history. While you might be used to coffee from Starbucks and other coffee shops, you might not know the history and tradition of coffee from other places. Let’s see how the Turks treat their coffee and how to drink it.
The phrase “Turkish coffee” does not solely refer to a type of coffee, but it can refer to the way the coffee is brewed. In simple terms, Turkish coffee has the coffee grounds floating in the brew, with a dark layer at the base of the cup. There is more to Turkish coffee aside from the grounds and water.
Benefits of Turkish coffee
There are several reasons to drink Turkish coffee. Let’s consider some of these benefits.
It is excellent for the health
Turkish coffee usually contains a higher concentration of the excellent compounds commonly found in regular coffee. Why? Because the method of preparation is unfiltered. Hence, you get the coffee in a near raw form.
Turkish coffee is full of healthy compounds like chlorogenic acids. These acids have been found to improve blood sugar, cholesterol levels, and high blood pressure.
Cardamom has many benefits
Cardamom is a tasty spice that is used in preparing Turkish coffee. It has been linked to many health advantages. The spice contains antioxidants that can reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Increases athletic performance
Caffeine is a natural stimulant that can improve athletic and mental sharpness. Turkish coffee contains a higher than usual dose of caffeine, which makes it great for anyone who lives an active lifestyle.
Why Turkish coffee is special
Turkish coffee is a method of coffee preparation that originated in the Middle East and some European countries. Some of these countries include Turkey (obviously), Iran, and Greece. It is a unique method of making coffee as it is made by mixing finely ground coffee beans with water. Afterward, the mixture is heated until it starts to froth.
Aside from the method of preparation, Turkish coffee is on the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List, which makes it an exceptional type of coffee. The unique preparation, the brewing techniques, and the whole culture associated with it make it a worthy addition to this prestigious list.
How is Turkish coffee made?
The method of making Turkish coffee is an art in itself.
Here is a step by step guide on how to make Turkish coffee.
- Before the coffee is brewed, the coffee beans must be finely ground until it is as fine as talcum powder. There is also a unique pot that is used in the process. The cezve is a pot with a long handle specially designed for preparing this unique drink. You will, in addition to the above, require a Turkish coffee cup known as fincan.
- Next, fill up the cup with water and pour it into the cezve. The cup serves as a means of measuring how much coffee will be brewed. The number of cups poured into the pot should not be more than the number of people gathered to drink the brew.
- Add the ground coffee to the water. Ensure that the amount of coffee added is equal to the number of drinkers. If you desire, you can add sugar to the drink. Many people opt to add sugar since Turkish coffee is a strong, bitter, and full-bodied brew.
- After adding water, coffee, and sugar stir the pot over medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Wait until the mixture froths and foams along the edges of the cezve. When this occurs, you will see the coffee rising in the pot.
- Wait until the foam begins to close on itself before you start serving.
- Pour the mixture in the small cups and remove any excess foam on top of the brew.
How to drink Turkish coffee
To enjoy Turkish coffee, you must drink it traditionally. In the Turkish setting, a cup of water is served alongside the coffee. Before drinking, you are expected to drink the water. It helps to cleanse your palate from any taste that might detract from the taste of the Turkish coffee.
Since the brewing of this drink is an intimate affair, it is best drunk with friends or family.
A creamy and highly caffeinated drink, Turkish coffee is enjoyed, not just in Turkey, but all around the world. It is beneficial to your health and tastes fantastic, especially when sugar is added. If you are sensitive to caffeine, you might want to steer clear of this drink. But for the majority of people, Turkish coffee is a delight to be enjoyed with friends and family.
Why don’t you brew your Turkish coffee today and enjoy this wonderful gift from Turkey!